Sundays are for pancakes. That’s a simple fact.
This recipe for pancakes is vegan and absolutely delicious! As a new vegan who used to eat regular pancakes up until not too long ago, I can honestly say that I love these pancakes more than regular pancakes! They are super fluffy, flavorful, and satisfying. what more could you ask for in a pancake?
This recipe makes 4 large pancakes, or 6 medium ones.
Time to prepare: 15-20 minutes
- 135 grams of all-purpose flour
- 25 grams of white sugar
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 3/4 cup of (vanilla) soy milk
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 30 grams of coconut oil
- 1 tbsp of ground flax seed
- 3 tbsp of water
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Prepare your flax egg by combining 1 tbsp of ground flax seed and 3 tbsp of water in a small bowl. Stir and keep in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Prepare your “buttermilk” by pouring 1 tbsp of lemon juice in a measuring cup, and filling it up to 3/4 of a cup with (vanilla) soy milk. Your buttermilk will start to curdle right away. Keep in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In your measuring cup, add your flax egg, melted coconut oil, and 1 tsp of vanilla extract to your buttermilk.
- Combine your wet ingredients with your dry ingredients and stir until mixed together. Don’t overdo it! You don’t want gluten to form and your pancakes to get chewy.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat and evenly coat with 1 tsp of vegetable oil.
- Pour batter into the skillet (using a ice cream scoop) and cook pancakes for about 2-3 minutes, until golden brown. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
I love my pancakes topped with some fresh berries and some warm maple syrup.